The films competing for this year's Doc Alliance Award have been announced during the Doc Day of the Marché du Film in Cannes. The 16thDoc Alliance Award will be presented at the award ceremony of this year’s guest festival DokuFest in Prizren (4 – 12 August). Additionally, all nominated films will be screened at the festival.
The winning films will be decided by three film professionals with different experience in the industry: Anna Berthollet (CEO, Sales & Acquisitions at Lightdox), journalist and programmer Arnaud Hée (La Cinémathèque du Documentaire) and festival programmer Jonathan Ali (Third Horizon, Open City Documentary Festival, Open Doors Locarno).
Full list of Best Feature nominees:
- a-B-C-D-e-F-G-H-i-JONESTOWN, Czech Republic, director: Jan Bušta, nominated by Ji.hlava IDFF
- Christina (Kristina), Serbia, director: Nikola Spasic, nominated by FIDMarseille
- Death of a City (A Morte de uma Cidade), Portugal, director: João Rosas, nominated by Doclisboa
- Disturbed Earth, Bosnia and Herzegovina/ North Macedonia/ Spain, directors: Kumjana Novakova and Guillermo Carreras-Candi, nominated by DokuFest
- Nights Gone By (Antier noche), Switzerland/ Spain, director: Alberto Martín Menacho, nominated by Visions du Réel
- Polish Prayers, Poland/ Switzerland, director: Hanka Nobis, nominated by Millenium Docs Against Gravity
- Silent Sun of Russia (Vi er Rusland), Denmark, director: Sybilla Tuxen, nominated by CPH:DOX
- Three Women (Drei Frauen), Germany, director: Maksym Melnyk, nominated by DOK Leipzig
Full list of Best Short nominees:
- 07:15 – Blackbird, France, director: Judith Auffray, nominated by Ji.hlava IDFF
- Adjusting (Prilagodjeni), Serbia, director: Dejan Petrović, nominated by DokuFest
- Darkroom, Turkey, director: Asli Baykal, nominated by Visions du Réel
- May the Earth Become the Sky (Face-s-ar pământul cer), Belgium/ Hungary/ Portugal/ Romania, director: Ana Vîjdea, nominated by Doclisboa
- Nothing Runs Like a Deere, Sweden, director: Max Göran, nominated by CPH:DOX
- The cervix pass (Le passage du col), France, director: Marie Bottois, nominated by FIDMarseille
- waking up in silence, Germany/ Ukraine, directors: Mila Zhluktenko and
Daniel Asadi Faezi, nominated by Millenium Docs Against Gravity
- Why my mum loves Russel Crowe, Netherlands, director: Emma van den Berg, nominated by DOK Leipzig
The Doc Alliance network of documentary film festivals supports emerging talents in European documentary film. Each of the seven festivals (CPH:DOX, Doclisboa, DOK Leipzig, FIDMarseille, Ji.hlava IDFF, Millennium Docs Against Gravity FF and Visions du Réel) as well as this year’s guest festival DokuFest have nominated one short and one feature-length documentary film from its past programme.
The Doc Alliance Award is endowed with 5,000 EUR (Best Feature) and 3,000 EUR (Best Short) for the filmmakers to spend on their next projects. In addition, each of the festivals in the network shows at least three films from the selection at its next edition.
More information about the nominated films: Doc Alliance Award Nominations
More information about the guest festival 2023: DokuFest