DOK Film Market
All documentary and animated films in the festival’s Competitions are included in the DOK Film Market. Additionally, we showcase around 100 new and outstanding documentaries with international appeal. These come recommended by the DOK Leipzig Selection Committee or are submitted by renowned world sales companies and international partners.
Last year’s partners include the Croatian Audiovisual Centre, East Silver & Institute of Documentary Film, Krakow Film Foundation & Polish Docs, Taiwan Docs and Visions du Réel & Swiss Films. All presented films have been produced in the course of the past year.
+49 (0)341 30864-1091
Can I view films in the video library?
You are eligible for a DOK Film Market pass, if you are in the following professions: TV/VOD buyers and commissioning editors, festival programmers, curators, cultural institutes, funding institutions, distributors and sales agents.
As a DOK Film Market pass holder, you are welcome to screen films at one of the viewing booths in the Festival Centre or online throughout the festival week and for an additional six months after the conclusion of the festival.
What kind of films are eligible?
Films must have been produced within the last 12 months. They should have a unique access to their subject, they prove the critical point of view of the director and they stand out for their aesthetic quality.
How do I submit my film to the DOK Film Market?
To submit your film, please use the festival entry form. If your film is selected for the Competition, you can choose to include your film in the video library free of charge.
If your film isn’t selected, DOK Film Market also selects more titles with international appeal from the festival submissions. Please indicate in the submission form if you would like to be considered also for this selection. You will receive a confirmation letter if selected.
If you don’t want to submit your film to the festival selection process but only to the DOK Film Market please write to us: email@example.com.
How much is the registration fee and when does it apply?
All films selected in the Official Selection of the festival are included free of charge. If your film is not selected for the festival programme but exclusively for the DOK Film Market, the following registration fees apply:
Feature-length films: 120 € (excl. VAT)
Short and mid-length films up to 40 min: 80 € (excl. VAT)
The fee is charged only once you have accepted the invitation and agreed to register your film in the video library.
Is the premiere status of my film affected if itʼs presented in the DOK Film Market?
No. Films that are only available in the DOK Film Market and not part of the official festival programme are not open to the public, therefore you don't risk to lose any premiere status for your further festival strategy.
We can offer you more advice on festival strategy at the DOK Industry Services.
What else does the DOK Film Market participation offer me?
- 50% discount on your festival accreditation which gives you access to the online Industry Guide (delegates guide with contact details), DOK Industry events and services like the daily Get Togethers, DOK Lounges, Meet the Experts talks and meetings, panels as well as festival film screenings. We recommend rights holders attend the festival and DOK Industry Programme to network and promote your film/s as it increases visibility and raises the chances of a successful market experience.
- Access to the online DOK Industry Guide with profiles and contact details of decision makers.
- Online access to your film’s screening report including evaluations, comments and contact details of buyers, programmers, distributors etc. We highly recommend to get in touch with those who are interested in your film immediately in order to schedule a meeting while still being in Leipzig.
- Promotion of your film in the DOK Film Market Catalogue online with its own page including film still, synopsis, credits and trailer (if available).
- After the festival decision makers will have the opportunity to continue viewing films through the password protected video library platform for six months. This enables potential buyers, festival programmers and other film professionals to continue discovering your film(s).
- Possibility to display posters and promotion material at the video library space.
- Priority access to the DOK Industry Services
Who is attending DOK Leipzig and the DOK Film Market?
Check out our online guest list regularly. If you acquire a festival accreditation, you get access to the online Industry Guide which provides you with additional information about attending professionals and contact details.
How can I best promote my film and access decision makers attending the festival?
We recommend to get a festival accreditation and prepare your attendance in advance. Find out more about the DOK Industry events and services on our website. There are many networking opportunities, panels, Get Togethers, DOK Lounges, and Meet the Experts talks and meetings where experts and industry members are present.
It is also a good idea to schedule meetings in advance with the professionals you wish to meet in Leipzig. You can check the Industry Guide to research on attending professionals (access available with a festival accreditation). And if in doubt, stop by the daily DOK Industry Helpdesk for more information.
Why is marketing important for my film and what can I do?
Our aim at DOK Industry is to connect you to other industry professionals, to encourage knowledge and experience exchange, to learn from each other and to create space for inventive distribution and marketing strategies.
We highly recommend to be personally present in Leipzig for some days during the festival in order to take maximum advantage of the DOK Industry offers. To be here at DOK Leipzig is a marketing tool which film professionals should capitalise and enjoy. Every film needs to envision its own marketing and distribution strategy, beyond the tried and true.
What DOK Film Market is not:
DOK Film Market is not a platform with sales stands, a trade show or pitching forum. The films are available exclusively at the DOK Film Market video library for a period of six months starting with the first day of the festival. DOK Film Market offers a film additional publicity, but no sales guarantee.