A sugar cane field like a huge wall the workers with their machetes have to overcome blow by blow. The screen gradually brightens – until it all starts again. Composed like a piece of music.
Sections (Film Archive)
- Animadoc (17)
- Best of MDR (3)
- Best of TV - POV (4)
- Cross Media Screening (4)
- DEFA and Latin America (9)
- DEFA Matinee (6)
- Doc Alliance Selection (3)
- FilmFestival Cottbus (1)
- (-) Focus Latin America (12)
- Focus Saxony (3)
- German Competition (11)
- Homage Barbara Hammer (11)
- Homage Boris von Borresholm (9)
- Homage Mariola Brillowska (14)
- Homage Peter Nestler (14)
- In Memoriam Petra Tschörtner (1)
- International Competition Animated Film (30)
- International Competition Documentary Film (11)
- International Competition Short Documentary (11)
- International Programme (55)
- Kids DOK (45)
- Neue Deutsche Animation (23)
- PINK Elephants (8)
- Polish Puppet Animation after 1945 (7)
- Retrospective (24)
- Retrospective Wladyslaw Starewicz (10)
- Special Screening MDR (2)
- Young Cinema Competition (10)
- Young Guns (17)
A mother and a daughter on a trip across Chile. One of them is looking for her lost sister, the other for the truth about her father. A quiet, intense road movie.
A cattle farm in the dry Northeast of Mexico: man and animal fighting for survival against the drought, until the rain falls... An archaic cycle in impressive images.
Never underestimate the power of the dark side.
A personal and emotional look at the Sandinista revolution in Nicaragua and what became of it. Observations, flashbacks, reflections.
Flight, a new beginning and the social rise of a Jewish family in Argentina. The home movie genre transcended in a gripping family epic that encompasses four generations.
An old man on a painstaking journey through the Cuban Sierra Maestra. An atmospheric look at a world where time seems to have stopped.
A man who narrowly survived an earthquake caught in the din of the clearing up efforts, and his agonising desire to find stability again.
A man on his usual trip to work, immersed in a system in which the use of people as objects is part of everyday life.
An adult daughter wants to move her mother out of the shared apartment to start her own life. Urgent questions of responsibility, guilt, and the right to individuality.
Two lifeguards, two attitudes. The tumultuous life on a beach as a microcosm of Chilean society – pushing the boundaries of the documentary.
In 1988 the director’s brothers were killed by the Ecuadorian police. Her search for the truth and a look at a survivors’ family who are fighting against forgetting.